South Indian Rice
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 203 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 16570 times
A spicy rice from the South.
- Mix and roast all the ingredients for the malgapodi powder. When roasted, powder and store in an airtight vessel.
- Boil the rice. Each grain of the cooked rice should be separate. Drain and cook.
- Roast the peanuts and sesame seeds separately and powder them coarsely.
- Heat the ghee, add the gram dal and mustard seeds and roast for 1 minute.
- Add the red chillies, curry leaves and asafoetida and cook again for 1/2 minute.
- Finally, add the rice, coconut, tamarind water, turmeric powder, malgapodi powder, roasted peanuts, sesame seeds and salt and cook for a few minutes.
- Serve hot.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.