Semolina and Vermicelli Idlis
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 426 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 53247 times
Semolina and vermicelli idlis are very popular in karnataka, where they make it in such big moulds that one idli will suffice for breakfast! the tempering adds to the aroma, while the cashews provide a crunchy respite in every mouthful. You can add some boiled veggies and coriander to the batter to make it more wholesome.
- Heat ½ tbsp of oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the semolina and roast on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes or till the semolina is light pink in colour, while stirring continuously.
- Remove from the flame and keep aside in a bowl.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in the same pan, add the cashewnuts and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Remove from the flame and add it to the semolina and keep aside.
- Heat 1 more tbsp of oil in the same non-stick pan, add the vermicelli and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes or till it turns light brown in colour, while stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the flame and add it to the semolina-cashew mixture.
- Add the curds, 1¼ cups of water and salt and mix well to make a batter of dropping consistency. Keep aside.
- Heat the remaining 1 tbsp of oil in a small non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds and urad dal.
- When the seeds crackle, switch off the flame, add the green chillies and curry leaves and sauté for a few seconds.
- Add it to the batter and mix well.
- Just before steaming, add the fruit salt and 1 tbsp of water over the batter.
- When the bubbles form, mix gently.
- Pour a little batter into each of the greased idli moulds and steam in a steamer for 8 to 10 minutes or till the idlis are cooked.
- Cool slightly, demould and serve hot with coconut chutney.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.