Samosa Or How To Make Samosa Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 70 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 149702 times
Samosa! Does this snack need any introduction? Originally one of Mumbai’s favourite roadside snacks, it is now so famous across the country that it is available in almost every bakery, restaurant and tea stall. While some enjoy it plain, others like to smash it and top it with sauces or make a chaat out of it. Have it the way you like it, but here is how to make the perfect, authentic Samosa. While it is possible to make quicker versions with readymade patty sheets, this recipe is about how to make it from scratch including the ajwain flavoured dough and the scrumptious potato stuffing!
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and knead into a stiff dough using enough water. Cover the dough with a dish or a wet muslin cloth and keep aside for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida and ginger-green chilli paste and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the potatoes and green peas, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes. Mash lightly using the back of the spoon.
- Add the garam masala, dry mango powder, coriander seeds and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the coriander, mix well and cook on a medium flame for another 1 minute, while stirring continuously.
- Divide the stuffing into 4 equal portions and keep aside.
- Knead the dough well till smooth and elastic and divide the dough into 2 equal portions.
- Roll out a portion of the dough into 150 mm. X 75 mm. (6" x 3") diameter oval.
- Cut the oval horizontally into 2 equal portions using a knife.
- Take a portion and join the edges to make a cone.
- Stuff the cone with a portion of the stuffing and apply little water on the edges to seal it.
- Repeat with the remaining dough and stuffing to make 3 more samosas.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai and deep-fry the samosas on a medium flame till they turn golden brown in colour from both the sides. Drain on absorbent paper.
- Serve hot with green chutney.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.