Samosa ( Gujarati Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 527 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 176129 times
Whether crisp and triangular, or big and conical, samosas are a universal favourite throughout the country. Here is the traditional gujarati “patti samosa”, which is a crispy samosa a tad different from the recipes of other regions. Unlike other samosas, the gujarati version does not use boiled potatoes—here, raw potatoes are chopped and allowed to cook in oil. The use of cabbage is another distinguishing factor, as also the making of pattis with wheat flour rather than maida.
- Sieve the flour and salt together.
- Transfer it in a bowl, add the oil and knead into a soft dough using enough water. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a broad pan, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame till the onions turn golden brown in colour. Sprinkle a little water if required.
- Add the potatoes and green peas, mix well and cook on medium flame, till the potatoes are soft, while stirring at regular intervals. Sprinkle little water if required.
- Add the cabbage, ginger-green chilli paste, sugar, lemon juice and salt and mix well.
- Cover and cook on a slow flame for 5 minutes or till the vegetables are cooked.
- Remove from the flame, add the coriander and mix well.
- Cool slightly and divide the filling into 18 equal portions. Keep aside.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal portions.
- Roll out each portion into a very thin 200 mm. (8") diameter circle using a little wheat flour.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and cook each chapati on both sides for a few seconds.
- Divide each chapati into three long pieces and make a cone of each strip.
- Stuff a cone with a portion of the prepared filling.
- Seal the edges carefully with the help of the flour-water paste.
- Repeat the steps 5 ans 6 to make 17 more samosas.
- Heat the oil in kadhai and deep-fry a few samosas at a timr on a medium flame till they turn crisp and golden brown in colour from all the sides.
- Drain on an absorbent paper and serve hot with green chutney
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.