Sambhar ( Idlis and Dosas)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 1430 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 491559 times
Sambhar and chutney are inseparable from idli and dosa! sambhar is made almost every day in south indian households, and relished with savoury snacks as well as rice. It also balances a meal by bringing in a lot of pulses and veggies.
- For the sambhar masala
- Heat the oil and roast all the ingredients for the sambhar masala in it.
- Grind to a fine paste in a blender using a little water. Keep aside.
- Wash and pressure cook the dal, tomato, onion, brinjals, drumstick and potato with 2 cups of water.
- Then add the tamarind pulp, sambhar masala, salt and 4 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Prepare the tempering by heating the oil and frying the mustard seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida until the mustard seeds crackle. Add this to the sambhar and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve hot.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.