Sada Dosa ( Mumbai Roadside Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 30 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 25526 times
Fzzzzzzzzzzzzzkkkk! your ear wakes up your gastronomic juices as soon as it hears the vendor sprinkling water on the hot tava before pouring the batter and spreading it into a thin, crisp dosa, which is then rolled up and served along with sambhar and other chutneys.
- Clean, wash and soak the rice in enough water for atleast 3 to 4 hours.
- Clean, wash and soak the urad dal and fenugreek seeds together in enough water for atleast 3 to 4 hours.
- Drain the rice, add the rice flakes, add a little water (approx. ¼ cup of water) and blend in a mixer to a smooth paste.
- Drain the urad dal and fenugreek seeds, add a little water (approx. 1 tbsp of water) and blend in a mixer to a smooth paste.
- Combine the rice paste and urad dal paste, mix well and cover and allow it to ferment in a warm place for atleast 6 to 8 hours.
- Add ½ cup of water, salt and besan and mix well.
- Remove 1 cup of the prepared batter to make dosas and store the remaining batter in an air-tight container in a deep-freezer.
- Pour ¼th of the batter on the greased non- stick tava (griddle)(refer handy tip) and spread in a circular motion to make a 225 mm. (9") thin dosa.
- Smear 1 tsp of oil over it and cook till the dosa turns brown in colour and crisp.
- Fold over to make a semi-circle or a roll.
- Place the dosa on a plate and serve immediately with coconut chutney, green garlic chutney and sambhar.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 3 more plates.
- Before making the dosas grease the non-stick tava with ¼ tsp of oil and wipe with a slice of onion or potato. Sprinkle a little water on it and wipe off using a piece of cloth.
- Spread a portion of the batter to make a small sample dosa, cook it and discard.
- This will ensure that the remaining dosas do not stick to the tava (griddle) and can be cooked easily.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.