Rice Pakoda Kadhi
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 19 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 13040 times
A thoughtful way to make use of leftover rice, and a brilliant idea to transform simple kadhi into a classic special dish!
Mixing in some spice powders, shaping into balls and deep-frying converts leftover rice into scrumptious pakodas, which are a wonderful value-add to traditional curd-based kadhi. The mellow, spice-laced flavour of the pakode and its exciting texture contrast beautifully with the tangy flavour and rich texture of the kadhi making them a winning team.
Serve the Rice Pakoda Kadhi hot, with an aromatic garnish of coriander. This delectable dish makes a good accompaniment to Vegetable Pulao or Vagharela Bhaat ( Gujarati Recipe) .
- Put the rice in a plate and mash lightly with the help of a potato masher.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and knead into a soft dough.
- Divide the dough into 16 equal portions and shape each portion into a ball.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai and deep fry, a few at a time on a medium flame till they turn golden brown in colour from all the sides.
- Drain on an absorbent paper. Keep aside.
- Combine the curds, besan and 1¼ cups of water in a deep bowl and whisk it till smooth. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida, curry leaves, onions and garlic and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the curds-besan mixture and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Just before serving, add the rice pakodas to the prepared kadhi and cook on a medium flame for another 2 minutes.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.