Rice Khichu ( Gujarati Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 291 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 132039 times
Gujarat is known for its many snacks that are a treat to the palate even while being friendly to the stomach! here is another such easy to make and easily digestible afternoon snack that is so popular that it is even sold on the streets of gujarat. Rice khichu is so named because it has to be served really hot, when it is soft and aromatic. However, serving it in the traditional way with oodles of raw oil can turn this healthy snack into an unhealthy one. So, we suggest you shape it with an interesting mould, and top it with just a little bit oil before serving. A word of caution - when making this dish, stir in the flour quickly to avoid lumps.
- Combine 3 cups of water, cumin seeds, green chillies, soda bi-carb and salt in a deep non-stick pan, mix well and boil on a high flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the rice flour and mix well, while stirring continuously with a wooden spoon so that no lumps remain.
- Cover and cook on a slow flame for another 5 to 7 minutes or till the mixture leaves the sides of the pan, stirring once in between. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a small pan, add the garlic and sauté on a slow flame till it releases a good flavour.
- Remove from the flame, add the chilli powder and mix well. Keep aside.
- Divide the khichu into 4 equal portions and serve in individual cups.
- Pour 1 tsp of oil mixture on each portion.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.