Rasam, South India Rasam, Home Made Rasam
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 560 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 137130 times
There is no place like home, and nothing as soothing as homemade food! In short, a south Indian would say, “Ah, Rasam!” The homeliest of South Indian recipes, Rasam is a thin lentil soup perked up with tamarind pulp and chopped tomatoes, a traditional spice powder, and a simple seasoning of mustard seeds and curry leaves.
The aroma of fresh roasted spices that surges out the pot as soon as the seasoning is added, is enough to draw everybody to the table.
Enjoy rasam like a soup or have it with Medu Vada , Idli or Rice .
- Combine all the ingredients in a broad non-stick pan and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
- Once cooled, blend in a mixer to a smooth powder. Keep aside.
- Combine the toovar dal with 1 cup of water in a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- With help of a hand blender, blend the dal till smooth, add the prepared rasam powder into it, mix well and keep aside.
- Combine the tomatoes, tamarind pulp, turmeric powder, asafoetida, salt and 3 cups of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 8 to 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the prepared dal-rasam powder mixture, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- For the tempering, heat the oil in a small pan and add the mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- When the seeds crackle, add the tempering to the prepared rasam and simmer for 1 minute.
- Add the coriander and mix well.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values per serving
|Energy|| 48 kcal|
|Protein|| 2.3 gm|
|Cho|| 6.3 gm|
|Fat|| 1.5 gm|
|Fibre|| 1.3 gm|
|Vitamin A|| 196.0 mcg|
|Vitamin C|| 7.3 mg|
|Calcium|| 18.9 mg|
|Iron|| 0.4 mg|
|F. Acid|| 16.0 mg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.