Ram Khichdi ( Gujarati Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 308 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 109908 times
An easy-to-make khichdi from the gujarati town of kathiyavad! a perfect combination of dals, rice and loads of mixed vegetables makes this khichdi nutritious and filling, with a melange of flavours and textures that is irresistible. Enjoy this spicy one-dish meal with low-fat curds, or with kadhi and papad.
- Clean, wash and soak the moong dal and rice in enough water for 10 to 15 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a pressure cooker and add the cumin seeds, cloves, cinnamon and bayleaf.
- When the cumin seeds crackle, add all the vegetables, turmeric powder, chilli powder and garam masala and sauté on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the rice, moong dal and salt and sauté on a medium flame for another 2 minutes.
- Add 4 cups of hot water, mix well and pressure cook for 3 to 4 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid and mix well.
- Serve hot with kadhi and papad.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.