Rajma Chawal ( Tiffin Treats)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 450 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 350793 times
A tangy preparation of rajma is combined with cooked rice to make a lip-smacking Rajma Chawal, which stays fresh in the tiffin box for at least 5 hours. It’s almost like having rice with a rajma curry to accompany it, but the best part is that it comes in a convenient one-dish package that is easy for kids to handle at lunch time. We have taken care to make the chawal a little moist, so that it does not get dry after a few hours. So, do not worry if you end up with a slightly moist rice when done; that is how it is meant to be. For the short break pack some Murukku ( Tiffin Treats) in another tiffin.
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker and add the cumin seeds and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the onions and ginger-garlic paste and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander-cumin seeds powder and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the rajma and 1 cup of water, mix well and pressure cook for 4 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Add the cooked rice, mix gently and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the coriander and mix well.
- Allow it to cool completely, and pack in an air-tight tiffin box.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.