Added to 385 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 32300 times
Saffron flavoured rasgullas stuffed with dry fruits. Another popular variation of the rasgullas.
- Knead together the chenna and saffron food colour and divide into 8 equal portions. Keep aside.
- Divide the stuffing into 8 equal portions. Keep aside.
- Flatten each portion of the chenna gently between the palms of your hands to make circles of 50 mm. (2") diameter.
- Place one portion of the stuffing in each circle and bring the ends together to seal the edges on top.
- Shape the stuffed raj bhogs into rounds by rolling them gently between the palms of your hands and taking care to see that there are no cracks on the surface.
- Place the raj bhogs on the back of a flat plate (thali) which is lightly dusted with flour.
- Combine the sugar and milk with 3 cups of water in a large pan. approx. 200 mm. (8") in diameter and 150 mm. (6") in height and heat while stirring continuously till the sugar dissolves.
- When the syrup comes to a boil, the impurities in the sugar will begin to float on the surface, forming a grey layer.
- Heat over a medium flame to allow the grey layer to float. Do not stir at this point as the layer will break and it will not clarify the syrup.
- After about 5 minutes, slowly drizzle 1 cup of water from the sides of the pan with the help of a ladle.
- Water added at this stage will bring down the temperature of the sugar syrup and will not allow it to boil and break the grey layer.
- Continue to simmer the syrup over a medium flame for about 10 minutes and then gently remove the grey layer using a slotted spoon.
- Bring the syrup to the boil once again and then slowly drizzle another cup of water from the sides of the pan using a ladle. Remove all the remaining impurities from the syrup, again using a slotted spoon.
- Increase the flame and boil vigorously for 1 to 2 minutes. Keep aside.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of the plain flour with 3/4 cup of water to make a flour solution. Keep aside.
- Heat the sugar syrup in a deep pan over a high flame and allow it to boil vigorously.
- When it boils, sprinkle half the flour solution in the sugar syrup and then add the raj bhogs by upturning the plate on which they are kept. (Do not touch the raj bhogs at this point as they are fragile).
- When the flour solution is added, a frothy layer is formed on the surface of the syrup.
- It the frothy layer begins to subside, sprinkle the remaining half portion of the flour solution.
- After this, keep on sprinkling water (minimum 1 cup) on the surface of the sugar syrup. Ensure that the syrup froths all the time while cooking the raj bhogs.
- Cook for about 20 minutes, continuously sprinkling water to enable the froth to form.
- Check if the raj bhogs are cooked. This is determined by touch. if the raj bhog springs back and retains it shape when pressed, it is cooked . Another way of checking is to drop a raj bhog in a pan of cold water.
- If it sinks to the bottom, it is cooked.
- Remove from the fire.
- Transfer the raj bhogs to a bowl along with 2 ladles of sugar syrup and 1 cup of water.
- Cool and chill for approx. 3 to 4 hours before serving.
- Raj bhogs should always be cooked on a very high flame.
- While cooking the raj bhogs, the sugar syrup must froth continuously.
- The pan should be approximately 200 mm. (8") in diameter and 150 mm. (6") in height and the sugar syrup should fill about 1/3 of the pan.
- When sprinkling water to the syrup when the raj bhogs are cooking, make sure sprinkle a little water at a time and not large quantities.
- (approx. a teaspoon at a time using your hands)
- VARIATION : BADAM BHOG
- Use 2 teaspoons of chopped almonds instead of pistachios and almonds for the above recipe.
- When the badam bhogs are chilled, squeeze and drain the syrup from the badam bhogs and dip them in rabdi cream.
- Lift each bhog out with a fork, tap out the excess rabdi cream and place in paper cups. Garnish with slivered almonds and varq. Serve chilled.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.