Ragda Patties ( Gujarati Recipe )
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 527 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 159163 times
This irresistible snack of potato patties with thick lentil gravy, garnished with sev and onions, can even serve as meal by itself! the stuffing is a little spicy, but complements the blandness of potatoes well. Also note that you don’t even have to deep-fry the patties, just shallow-fry them with little oil on a non-stick griddle. The finishing touch is the chutney streaked atop the ragda patties provides a perfect touch of sweetness and tanginess.
- Combine the potatoes, cornflour and salt in a bowl and mix well.
- Divide the potato mixture into 8 equal portions and roll each portion into a 75 mm. (2 ½ ") diameter circle. Place 1 tsp of the prepared stuffing in the centre.
- Bring together the edges in the centre to seal the filling inside the potato circle.
- Repeat with the remaining potato mixture and stuffing to make 7 more stuffed patties.
- Cook the patties on a non-stick tava (griddle), using a little oil, till they turn brown in colour from both the sides. Keep aside.
- Drain the safed vatana. Add the salt and 11/2 cups of water and pressure cook for 4 whistles.
- Before opening the lid allow the steam to escape. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida.
- When the seeds crackle, add all the remaining ingredients along with the cooked safed vatana and ¾ cup of water, mix well while mashing the safed vatana slightly so that the gravy thickens.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, while stirring twice in between and keep aside.
- Just before serving, place 2 patties in a plate and pour 1/4th of the hot ragda over it.
- Top it with 1 tbsp khajur imli ki chutney, 2 tbsp of sev and 1 tbsp of onions.
- Serve immediately.
- The mint mixture for the stuffing should be kept in a strainer after grinding once made to allow the excess water to be drained, which will make stuffing the patties easier.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.