Pyaaz ki Kachori
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 1296 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 232095 times
These kachoris probably originated in Jodhpur but are today popular throughout Rajasthan. Very few households actually prepare these crisp, flaky deep-fried kachoris stuffed with an onion filling. Steaming hot Pyaaz ki Kachoris or Aloo Pyaaz ki Kachoris are sold at most 'namkeen' shops in Rajasthan. Like all kachoris, they are eaten with asweet and spicy tamarind chutney. You can prepare these kachoris ahead in time and re-heat them in an oven just before serving. They are perfect for an afternoon snack on a rainy day.
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl and knead into a semi-soft dough using enough water. Knead well for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Cover the dough with a wet muslin cloth and keep aside for 15 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the nigella seeds, fennel seeds, bayleaves, green chillies and onions and sauté on a medium flame for 5 minutes.
- Add the besan, coriander powder, chilli powder, garam masala and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Remove the mixture from the flame, add the coriander and mix well.
- Remove the bayleaves and discard them.
- Divide into 12 equal portions and keep aside.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal portions.
- Roll out each portion of the dough into a 63 mm. (2½ ") diameter circle.
- Place one portion of the onion filling in the centre.
- Bring together all the sides, seal it tightly and remove any excess dough.
- Roll the filled portion again into a 75 mm. (3") diameter circle, while ensuring that the filling does not spill out.
- Gently press the centre of the kachori with your thumb.
- Repeat steps 2 to 6 to make 11 more kachoris.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick kadhai and deep-fry 6 kachorisat a time, on a medium flame for 4 minutes. Reduce the flame and deep-fry on a slow flame for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Drain on an absorbent paper and keep aside.
- Repeat step 8 and 9 to deep-fry 6 more kachoris in one more batch.
- Serve immediately.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.