Puran Poli ( Gujarati Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 441 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 215929 times
The perfect preparation of puran poli is considered a highly-skilled task… an art actually! unlike Maharashtrian puran poli which uses chana dal, the gujarati version makes use of toovar dal. Its unique flavour and characteristic aroma can be attributed to the special Indian spices used.
- Combine the flour and oil in a bowl and knead into a soft dough using enough water.
- Divide the dough into 15 equal portions and keep aside.
- Dissolve the saffron in a 2 tsp water in a bowl, mix well and keep aside for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Combine the dal with 1½ cups of water in a presser cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Heat the ghee in a broad non-stick pan, add the dal and jiggery, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 10 to 12 minutes or till the mixture thickens, while stirring continuously and mashing at regular intervals.
- Add the cardamom powder and saffron-water mixture and mix well.
- Cool slightly and divide it into 15 equal portions. Keep aside.
- Roll out one portion of the dough into a 100 mm. (4") diameter circle using a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
- Place a portion of the filling in the center and fold the edges of the dough over the filling. Pinch the edges together to seal the filling.
- Flatten the dough and roll again into a 100 mm. (4") diameter circle, using a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
- Cook on a tava (griddle) over a medium flame, till it turns golden brown in colour from both the sides.
- Repeat with the remaining dough and filling to make 14 more puran polis.
- Smear a little ghee on each puran poli and serve hot.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.