Puran Poli ( Gujarati Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 430 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 197868 times
The perfect preparation of puran poli is considered a highly-skilled task… an art actually! unlike maharashtrian puran poli which uses chana dal, the gujarati version makes use of toovar dal. Its unique flavour and characteristic aroma can be attributed to the special indian spices used.
- Combine the flour and oil in a bowl and knead into a soft dough using enough water.
- Divide the dough into 15 equal portions and keep aside.
- Combine the dal with 1½ cups of water and pressure cook it for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Drain any excess water and mash the dal lightly using the back of the spoon
- Dissolve the saffron in a little water and keep aside for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Heat the ghee in a broad non-stick pan, add the dal and sugar and cook on a medium flame for 20 minutes or till the mixture thickens, while stirring continuously.
- Add the cardamom powder, nutmeg powder, mace powder and saffron mixture and mix well.
- Cool slightly and divide it into 15 equal portions. Keep aside.
- Roll out one portion of the dough into a 75 mm. (3") diameter circle.
- Place a portion of the filling in the centre and fold the edges of the dough over the filling. Pinch the edges together to seal the filling in.
- Flatten the dough and roll again into a 100 mm. (4") diameter circle, using a little wheat flour for rolling.
- Cook on a tava (griddle) over a medium flame till it turns golden brown in colour on both the sides.
- Repeat with the remaining dough and filling to make 14 puran polis.
- Smear a little ghee on each puran poli and serve hot.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.