Pulse Appe ( Idlis and Dosas)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 133 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 93364 times
When served fresh, this Pulse Appe will remind you of scrumptious dal vadas – but the advantage is that this is easier to prepare!
A wholesome batter of four dals and rice is fermented for 12 hours. The next day it is reinforced with flavourful ingredients like spinach, onions, and so on, and cooked in an appe mould to make a tasty snack that goes wonderfully well with sambhar and chutney.
You can have this as a satiating evening snack with coffee or tea, or serve it as a starter at parties, but ensure that you serve it immediately on preparation as it becomes rubbery and loses its flavour after some time.
- Combine the chana dal, toovar dal, green moong dal, urad dal, par-boiled rice, raw rice and enough lukewarm water in a deep bowl and keep aside to soak for at least 2 hours.
- Drain and blend in a mixer to a coarse mixture using approx. ¾ cup of water.
- Transfer the batter into a deep bowl, cover with a lid and keep aside to ferment in a warm place for 12 hours.
- After fermentation, add 2 tbsp of water, spinach and salt and mix well. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a small non-stick pan, add the onions, chilli powder, curry leaves, turmeric powder and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add this tempering to the batter and mix well.
- Heat an appe mould on a medium flame and grease it using a little oil.
- Pour 1 tbsp of the batter into each appe mould.
- Cook, using a little oil, till the lower surface becomes golden brown and then turn each appe upside down using a fork so as to cook them from the other side using a little oil.
- Repeat with the remaining batter to make more appes.
- Serve immediately with sambhar and coconut chutney.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.