Pressure Cooker Oondhiya
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 96 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 22414 times
A classic Gujarati recipe, of vegetables and fenugreek dumplings cooked in an aromatic blend of spices. This version is an easy and healthy way to make oondhiya.
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and knead into a soft dough, adding water only if required.
- Divide this mixture into 30 portions and mould into oblong shapes by placing between the palms. Deep fry over a medium flame till the muthias are golden brown. Drain and keep aside.
- Wash the papdi, add the carom seeds, soda bi-carb and salt and mix well.
- Make a criss-cross slit, at a right angle, in the potatoes and brinjals taking care not to separate the segments. Keep aside.
- Cut the bananas into big pieces and cut a vertical slit in the centre of each piece.
- Fill the masala mixture into the slits of the potatoes, brinjals and bananas. This will require about half the quantity. Keep the remaining half for later use.
- Heat the oil for the tempering in a pressure cooker and add the asafoetida and ginger-green chilli paste.
- Add the Surti papdi, purple yam, potatoes, sweet potatoes and brinjals and ½ cup of water and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape and open the pressure cooker.
- Transfer the cooked vegetables into a large pan and add the stuffed bananas, methi muthias and the remaining masala mixture.
- Cook on a slow flame till the bananas are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values per per
|Vitamin A||510.3 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin B3||1.9 mg|
|Vitamin C||25.8 mg|
|Folic Acid||56.8 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.