Poha Khichu ( Non- Fried Snacks )
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 37 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 20683 times
Poha khichu, a simple guajarati snack made of flaked rice cooked with spices. You can even make the khichu ahead of time and steam it for 4 to 5 minutes just before serving. To make it spicier, you can add finely chopped green chillies.
- Heat 2½ cups of water in a deep pan, add the soda bi-carb, cumin seeds, , chilli powder and salt, mix well and boil on a high flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the ground beaten rice, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Lower the flame, cover with a lid and cook for 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Grease a plastic chocolate mould tray with a little oil and keep aside.
- Divide the mixture into 12 equal portions and shape each portion into a round ball.
- Gently press each portion into the depression of the mould.
- Invert the tray and tap it lightly to demould the khichu. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a small pan, add the garlic and sauté on a slow flame till it releases flavour.
- Remove from the flame, add the chilli powder and salt and mix well. Keep aside.
- Place the moulded khichu rounds around a plate and fill the sauce in a bowl and place in the centre of the plate and serve immediately.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.