Peach Praline Gateau ( Cakes and Pastries)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 35 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 17917 times
A luscious recipe of french origin, with the goodness and flavour of fresh peaches.
- Slice the sponge cake horizontally into 2 equal parts. Keep aside.
- Combine the sugar syrup and peach essence in a bowl to make the soaking syrup and keep aside.
- Soak the bottom layer of the sponge cake with ½ the soaking syrup.
- Spread ½ cup of cream on the soaked layer of the cake.
- Put the chopped peaches and praline on top and sandwich with the second layer of the sponge cake.
- Soak the second layer of the cake with the remaining soaking syrup and spread the remaining cream evenly on top and at the sides.
- Transfer the cake onto a cake board and refrigerate for 20 minutes to set.
- Place the cake on a turntable and run a pastry comb along the sides.
- Fill the plastic disposable piping bag (fitted with a no. 5 star nozzle) with the whipped cream. Hold the piping bag in your hand and move your wrist anti-clockwise while applying gentle pressure to make a swirl. Continue piping to make an S design while still applying the pressure. Finish by making another swirl to end the S design.
- Using the same piping bag make a shell border at the base of the cake. To do this, squeeze the piping bag and allow the cream to fan out generously– do not lift the bag.
- Gradually relax your pressure as you lower the tip until it touches the surface. Stop pressure and pull the tip away, without lifting it off the surface, to draw the shell to a point. Start the end of your next shell so that the fanned end covers the tail of the preceding shell to form an even chain
- Cut each peach into 3 wedges and place them on top of the cake.
- To make the sugar threads, melt the sugar in a pan on a slow flame.
- Add 2 tsp water and mix well.
- The syrup is of this white before cooking.
- Continue cooking, while stirring continuously till the sugar melts completely and turns brown.
- Carefully take a little sugar syrup with the addle, place it on your thumb, press your index finger against it and check if you get a 1-string consistency. If so, they syrup is ready and if not, then continue cooking , while stirring continuously till you get a 1-string consistency.
- Place the pan on a wire rack. Dip the back of the greased dessert spoons into the caramelised sugar and bring them together for just an instant. Pull them apart quickly. You will see the threads forming. Repeat this procedure of bringing the spoons near each other and pulling them apart till you get
- Place these threads in a bunch on top of the cake.
- Top with the cherries, cut into 6 equal wedges and serve.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.