by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 31 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 11172 times
An ideal recipe for a traditional celebration at home. Toovar dal is pressure-cooked and blended with an assortment of vegetables: carrots, pumpkin, raw banana and brinjal and simmered with masalas, till every ingredient blends with another for a flavorful meal.
This dal goes well with Parathas as well as Cooked Rice .
- Heat the oil in a small non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds and coriander seeds and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the dry red chilli, dry coconut and onions and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the flame, add the ginger, green chillies and tamarind pulp and blend it in a mixer to a smooth paste using ¼ cup of water. Keep aside.
- Clean, wash and soak the toovar dal for about 30 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Combine the dal, turmeric powder, salt, and 3 cups of water in the pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 2 whistles. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Whisk the dal using a whisk. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a deep non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- When the seeds crackle add the raw banana, brinjals, potatoes, carrots, red pumpkin. Coriander-cumin seeds powder and garam masala and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add 1 cup of water and salt, mix well and cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the cooked dal, masala paste and ½ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.
RECIPE SOURCE : Dals
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.