by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 28 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 9334 times
An ideal recipe for a traditional celebration at home. Toovar dal is pressure-cooked and blended with an assortment of vegetables: carrots, pumpkin, raw banana and brinjal and simmered with masalas, till every ingredient blends with another for a flavorful meal.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the cumin and coriander seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the dry red chilli, dry coconut and onions and cook stirring continuously till the mixture becomes golden brown.
- Remove form fire, add the ginger-green chilli paste and tamarind and blend to a smooth paste. Keep aside.
- Clean, wash and soak the toovar dal for about 30 minutes. Drain.
- Add the salt, turmeric powder and 3 cups of water and pressure cook till the dal is done.
- Whisk well till the dal is mashed.
- Heat oil in a large pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle add the raw banana, brinjals, potato, carrots, red pumpkin. coriander-cumin seeds powder and garam masala and stir for some time.
- Add 1 cup of water and salt, cover and cook till the vegetables are tender.
- Add the cooked dal, masala paste and ½ cup of water.
- Simmer on a low flame for about 10 minutes and bring to a boil.
- Serve hot.
RECIPE SOURCE : Dals
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.