by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 57 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 37834 times
Here, a wholesome combo of five dals is flavoured with a special masala water and whole spices as well! Not only the flavours of the spices, but the flavours of the assorted dals are also discernable in this delightful dish. Dissolving the spice powders in water before sautéing them ensures that they get uniformly mixed, and also gives a nice, strong aroma to the dish. The Panchmel Dal also gets a nice tangy twist from amchur powder and tamarind pulp, which makes it a nice, tongue-tickling treat!
- Combine the dals, 4 cups of water and salt in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick pan, add the bay leaves, cloves, cumin seeds, asafoetida and green chillies.
- When the cumin seeds crackle, add the prepared masala water and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the cooked dal, dried mango powder, tamarind pulp and little salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately with naan or paratha.
RECIPE SOURCE : Dals
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.