Panchkuti Dal, Panchratan Dal, Dal Made with 5 Pulses
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 412 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 26187 times
As the name suggests, Panchkuti Dal is a delightful combination of five pulses. If you have remembered to soak the dals earlier, then this recipe can be prepared effortlessly as it uses only common spices and straight-forward methods.
It is the combination of pulses that makes this dal so special and even without a subzi it can be enjoyed with plain roti and rice for a satisfying meal.
- Wash all the dals and soak them in enough water in a bowl for 1 hour. Drain.
- Combine the soaked dals with 1 cup of water in a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the cinnamon, garlic, ginger, red chillies and curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the garam masala, coriander and green chillies, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the cooked dal, salt and lemon juice, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 to 7 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.