Onion Thyme Soup
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 40 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 11121 times
Onion is a popular flavour and texture enhancer in varied dishes, ranging from soups to subzis. However, in this unique soup, this low-fat, cholesterol fighting ingredient plays a key role together with dried thyme! A generous dose of spring onions imparts a fabulous taste as well as some colour to the Onion Thyme Soup, while the vegetable stock deepens the flavour and texture. To reduce the calorie count of this healthy bowlful, wheat flour has been used as a thickening agent instead of plain flour or cornflour.
- Boil 6 cups of water in a deep non-stick pan, add all the ingredients and mix well. Cover with a lid and cook on a slow flame for 20 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Strain using a strainer. Keep the stock aside and discard the vegetables.
- Heat the butter in a deep non-stick kadhai, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the spring onion greens, thyme and whole wheat flour, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the vegetable stock, salt and pepper, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values per serving
|Energy|| 37 kcal|
|Protein|| 1.1 gm|
|Carbohydrates|| 6.1 gm|
|Fat|| 1.0 gm|
|Vitamin C|| 10.6 mg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.