Nutritious Stuffed Idlis
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 279 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 47382 times
Even though idlis are nourishing breakfast foods, the accompanying coconut chutney adds on extra calories and fat. So here's a colourful idli recipe that's packed with the goodness of vegetables and served with delicious low calorie chutney made without using coconut. Here's to healthy and delicious eating!
- Wash and soak the idli rawa and poha in water for at least 2 hours.
- Wash the urad dal thoroughly and soak it in water for at least 2 hours.
- Blend the rice semolina and poha in a blender to make a smooth batter.
- Grind the urad dal separately to a smooth paste using a little water.
- Mix the two batters and add salt. Cover and keep aside for 6 to 8 hours for fermenting.
- Coarsely grind the mixed vegetables in a blender without using any water.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan, add the green chillies, curry leaves, urad dal and mustard seeds and sauté for a few seconds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the vegetables and salt and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes. Divide the stuffing into 15 equal portions. Keep aside.
- Place a spoonful of the idli batter into each greased idli mould.
- Place a portion of the stuffing over the idli batter.
- Pour a spoonful of idli batter to cover the stuffing on each idli mould.
- Steam for 10 to 12 minutes. Wait for 1 minute and take out the idlis.
Nutrient values per idli
|Vit A||61.5 mcg|
|Vit C||1.7 mg|
|F. Acid||7.8 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.