Nutritious Sprouts and Banana Porridge ( Baby and Toddler)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 49 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 27966 times
Here is a fantastic porridge of sprouted cereals and pulses, sweetened naturally with mashed banana!
Toasting the sprouts till they are crisp, not only improves the shelf-life but also increases the aroma incredibly, making this porridge mix a real winner, something you will want to try having yourself!
Moreover, the Nutritious Sprouts and Banana Porridge is a good source of energy, protein and a host of other nutrients like calcium and iron, which are all essential for your child at this age.
You can keep the dry porridge powder in an airtight container for a couple of weeks, to treat your child to a tasty and wholesome treat any time!
Add your private note
Nutritious Sprouts and Banana Porridge ( Baby and Toddler) recipe - How to make Nutritious Sprouts and Banana Porridge ( Baby and Toddler)
Soaking Time: 6 to 8 hours.   Preparation Time:    Cooking Time:
Makes 0.75 cup
- Soak the whole moong, whole wheat and whole ragi in enough water in separate containers for 6 to 8 hours.
- Drain out all the water, tie them in separate muslin cloths and allow them to sprout. This may take upto 2 days in warm weather. Remember to keep sprinkling water on the musllin cloth to keep it damp, as the grains will not sprout if they are dry.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and dry-roast all the whole grains separately on slow flame for 15 to 20 minutes or till they turn crisp, while stirring continuously.
- Cool for 5 minutes and combine all the toasted grains in a deep bowl. Rub them between your palms to remove all the burnt skin and sprouts which will otherwise leave a burnt taste in the mixture.
- Separate this burnt portion from the toasted grains by passing it through a sieve. Discard the burnt portion.
- Blend the toasted grains in a mixer to a fine powder.
- Cool and store in a sterilised air-tight container. Use as required.
- Boil ½ cup of water in a non-stick saucepan, add 1 tbsp of the sprouted mixture and mix well. Switch off the flame, cover with a lid and keep aside for 5 minutes.
- Add the mashed banana, mix well and serve immediately.
- Instead of banana you can also use mashed chickoo or date purée to sweeten this porridge.
- To reduce cooking time at step 3 in the sprouted mixture, you can dry roast 2 to 3 grains on different tavas and flames at a time.
Nutrient values per serving
|Energy|| 98 kcal|
|Protein|| 2.1 gm|
|Carbohydrate|| 22.0 gm|
|Invisible Fat|| 0.3 gm|
|Fibre|| 2.0 gm|
|Calcium|| 27.2 mg|
|Iron|| 0.6 mg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.