by Tarla Dalal
Added to 37 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 19736 times
This is a variation to a dosa. This dosa gives a nice tangy flavour which will leave your mouth watering for some more.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the chana dal and urad dal and sauté on a medium flame till they turn golden brown in colour, while stirring continuously.
- Add the red chillies and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the tamarind, peppercorns, jaggery and coconut, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for a minute, while stirring continuously. Keep aside.
- When cool, add salt and blend in a mixer to a smooth paste, adding a little water if needed. Use as required.
- Soak the rice seperately in enough water for 3 hours and drain.
- Blend the rice in a mixer till smooth. Remove and keep aside.
- Soak the urad dal, fenugreek seeds and beaten rice togeather in enough water for 3 hours and drain.
- Blend the urad dal, fenugreek seeds and beaten rice togeather in a mixer till smooth and frothy ( add water little by little as required ). Remove and keep aside.
- Combine the urad dal paste and rice paste togeather in a bowl and cover and keep aside to ferment for atleast 3 to 4 hours.
- Once the batter is fermented , add the sugar and salt to the batter and mix well.
- Heat a non-stick pan and sprinkle a little water on it. It should steam immediately.
- Grease it with oil and wipe hard with a slice of onion or potato.
- Pour a ladeful of the batter on the tava and spread in a circular motion to make 125 mm (5") thin dosa.
- Spread 1 tbsp of mysore chutney evenly on the dosa.
- Smear a liitle oil along the sides, cook till the dosa turns brown and crispy and fold over to make a semi-circle.
- Repeat with the remaining batter to make 7 more dosas. Serve hot with fried chutney and sambhar.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.