Moong Dal Halwa
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 466 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 746465 times
A classic recipe that is relished throughout Rajasthan during the winter months, as it is supposed to keep the body warm and protect it from the bitter winter cold. It is considered to be auspicious, and is often prepared during Holi, Diwali and weddings too. It takes a long time and lots of patience to sauté the dal and prepare the Moong Dal Halwa, and it will probably require a little extra ghee too! However, the outcome is worth every minute of extra effort you put into it. You can make a larger quantity of this recipe and store it refrigerated for several weeks. Just add a little milk to the halwa before reheating it.
- Soak the yellow moong dal in enough water for 3 hours. Drain well and blend in a mixer to a coarse paste without using any water. Keep aside.
- Dissolve the saffron in 1 tablespoon of warm milk and keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick kadhai, add the yellow moong dal paste and cook on a medium flame for 25 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the milk and 1 cup of warm water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 7 to 8 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the sugar, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the saffron-milk mixture, cardamom powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring continuously.
- Serve warm garnished with almond slivers or store in an air-tight container and refrigerate it.
Nutrient values per 0.25 cup
|Vitamin A||104.6 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.3 mg|
|Vitamin C||0.2 mg|
|Folic Acid||18.7 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.