Moong Dal Dosa ( Idlis and Dosas )
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 286 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 88060 times
Just the beautiful golden colour of this Moong Dal Dosa is enough to make you drool! And fortunately it is so tasty it won’t let your appetite down.
Made of par-boiled rice and moong dal, soaked, ground and fermented, these dosas have a deliciously homely flavour and enticing crispness, which only fermented batter can bring about.
It tastes different from regular dosas as it uses moong instead of urad and also has an equal proportion of dal and rice. You will love to have this for Breakfast !
- Wash and soak the moong dal and par-boiled rice in enough water in a deep bowl for at least 3 hours. Drain.
- Combine the moong dal and par-boiled rice in a mixer and blend till smooth using approx. 1¼ cups of water.
- Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl, cover it with a lid and allow it to ferment in a warm place for at least 8 to 10 hours.
- Add the salt and approx. ¼ cup of water and mix well.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and sprinkle a little water on the tava (griddle) and wipe it off gently using a muslin cloth.
- Pour a ladleful of the batter on it and spread it in a circular motion to make a 200 mm. (8”) diameter circle.
- Smear a little oil over it and along the edges and cook on a medium flame till the dosa turns golden brown in colour and crisp.
- Fold over to make a semi-circle or roll.
- Repeat with the remaining batter to make 14 more dosas.
- Serve immediately with and sambhar and coconut chutney.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.