Added to 120 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 259997 times
A snack that has become almost synonymous with oriental cuisine, Momos are made of a plain flour cover filled with sautéed veggies. An apt combination of garlic, ginger, green chillies and Schezuan sauce flavours the vegetable mixture, and the outcome is simply tongue-tickling! Traditionally, Momos are steamed in bamboo baskets, but you can also cook them in a regular Steamer or cooker, the way you make dhoklas or idlis. You can innovate on this recipe by adding other veggies or bean sprouts to the filling, but make sure you choose colourful, juicy and crisp veggies to achieve the right appearance and to get the mild crunch that makes Momos so enjoyable! Serve along with Vegetable Chow Mein and Chinese Fried Rice .
- Combine the plain flour, 1 tsp of oil and salt in a deep bowl and knead into a soft dough using enough water.
- Cover the dough with a wet muslin cloth and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat the remaining 4 tsp of oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the garlic, ginger and green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the onions, carrot, french beans and cabbage and salt and sauté on a medium flame for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the schezuan sauce and sugar, mix well and cook on a medium flame for a few seconds. Keep aside.
- Divide the dough into 14 equal portions.
- Roll a portion of the dough into a 75 mm. (3”) diameter circle using a little plain flour for rolling and place 1 tbsp of the prepared filling in the centre of the circle.
- Hold it on your palms, fold the two sides and pinch them as shown in the image.
- Fold the other open side and pinch it again so as to form a triangle as shown in the image.
- Repeat step 7 to 9 to make 13 more momos.
- Steam 7 momos in a steamer for 8 minutes or till they are cooked.
- Repeat step 11 to steam the remaining 7 momos in 1 more batch.
- Serve immediately with soya sauce and chilli garlic sauce.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.