Mohanthaal ( Mithai Cookbook)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 262 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 22530 times
A classic recipe of a delicious sweet. Time consuming but worth the effort!
- Combine the besan and ¼ cup of ghee in a bowl and mix well with your finger tips till the mixture is crumbly. Keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat the remaining 1 cup of ghee in kadhai add the besan mixture and cook on a slow flame for 30 minutes or till the besan turns to dark brown in colour, while stirring continuously and scrapping the sides of the kadhai.
- Add the mava mix well and cook on a slow flame for another 7 to 8 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Combine the sugar with just enough water (approx 1 cup) to immerse the sugar. Cook on a slow flame for approx 15 to 20 minutes to form a one string consistency, while stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the flame and add this sugar syrup to the besan mixture and keep stirring continuously till the mixture thickens and is like a dropping consistency (approx 10 to 15 minutes).
- Add the cardamom powder, nutmeg powder and half the almonds and pistachios slivered, mix well.
- Pour into a 200 mm. (8") diameter thali with 25 mm. (1”) width and spread the mixture with the spatula to spread it evenly.
- Sprinkle the remaining almonds and pistachios slivered and keep aside for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Make square or diamond shape cut marks and keep aside till it cools completely.
- Cut into pieces and store in an air-tight container.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.