Mixed Vegetable Kuzhambu
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 10 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 11238 times
This elaborate version of sambhar is a primary side dish whose smell will linger in your hands long after you are done with the meal, thanks to the exciting array of spices used in it. It is usually had as an accompaniment with idli/dosa or plain rice/dal-chawal. While i have modified this recipe to use cooked chana dal, a lot of south indians usually prefer to use toovar dal – which is, in fact, the preferred dal for most south indian gravy-style dishes.
- Heat the oil in a small pan, add the fenugreek seeds, coriander seeds, red chillies, cumin seeds and coconut, mix well and sauté on a slow flame till they turn golden brown in colour (approx. 5 to 7 minutes) while stirring continuously. Keep aside.
- When cool, add 3 tbsp of water and blend in a mixer to a smooth paste. Keep aside.
- Combine the tamarind pulp with ¼ cup of water in a small pan, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes or till the raw flavour of tamarind disappears. Keep aside.
- Combine the raw banana, yam, red pumpkin, bottle gourd, 1 cup of water, cooked tamarind pulp, salt and turmeric powder in a deep pan, mix well and cover and cook on a medium flame till the water evaporates and vegetables are cooked (approx. For 10 to 12 minutes), stirring once in between.
- Add the cooked dal and prepared paste, mix gently and simmer for another 5 to 7 minutes.
- For the tempering, heat the oil in a small pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the coconut and sauté on a medium flame till it turns light brown in a colour, while stirring continuously.
- Add the curry leaves and sauté for a second and pour the tempering over the curry. Serve hot.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.