Mirchi ka Salan, Hyderabadi Mirchi Ka Salan Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 213 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 102604 times
A traditional Hyderabadi salan is made in a shallow wide flat bottomed handi. The salan is a sealed in this handi and kept on low fire to cook with all the flavours trapped inside to give that authentic rich taste. I have modified this recipe to suit our present day requirements, without compromising on the traditional flavours.
Most Hyderabadis serve Mirchi ka Salan with Biryani . However it can be eaten with Chapati or rice .
- Wash and slit the green chillies. Remove the seeds and fry in hot oil until they turn whitish in colour. Remove and keep aside.
- In the same oil, add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, nigella seeds and curry leaves.
- When the seeds crackle, add the paste and cook for 2 minutes. Add the turmeric powder, coriander-cumin seed powder, chilli powder and powdered peanut-sesame mixture. Cook over a medium flame, stirring continuously until the oil separates.
- Add 2 cups of water and tamarind pulp and bring it to a boil.
- Add the fried green chillies, coriander and salt and simmer until the gravy thickens.
- Serve hot.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.