Mini Idlis in Coconut Sauce
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 260 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 26052 times
Mini idlis, with loads of spinach in the batter, are tasty and healthy too. Instead of the standard sambhar combo, here the idlis are floated in a soothing coconut sauce with mild hints of green chillies. Mini idlis in coconut sauce is an innovative cocktail snack – just remember to serve it piping hot!
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the curry leaves, green chilli, coconut milk, salt, lemon juice, sugar and cornflour-water mixture, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring continuously. Keep aside.
- Put the spinach leaves in enough hot water and allow them to blanch for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Drain, cool and blend in a mixer to a smooth purée.
- Combine the idli batter, spinach purée and salt in a bowl and mix well.
- Pour a little batter into each greased mini idli mould and steam in a steamer for 6 to 7 minutes.
- Cool, demould and keep aside.
- Heat a sizzler plate or tava (griddle) till red hot.
- Pour ¼th of the prepared coconut sauce over it and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the mini idlis and the remaining coconut sauce over it and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Discard the green chilli from the coconut sauce and serve immediately.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.