4/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 100 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 11770 times
A richer version of the gulab jamuns. These gulab jamuns are stuffed with chopped dry fruits, saffron and cardamom powder and then deep fried. The khoya or mava used for the Gulab Jamuns is of a special kind called Hariali Khoya or Chikna Khoya. It is made by reducing low fat milk and is slightly yellowish in colour and is also loose and sticky in consistency. Frying these gulab jamuns is an art in itself. The flame has to be sufficiently low so that the gulab jamuns get cooked on the insides. This a great dessert for a buffet presentation.
- In a large pan, dissolve the sugar in 1 1/2 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Simmer over a slow flame till the syrup is of 1 string consistency.
- Remove any impurities which float on top of the syrup by using a slotted spoon.
- Add the saffron, if desired and keep the syrup warm.
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients, mix well and knead into a firm dough without using any water.
- Divide the dough into 13 equal portions.
- Mix one portion of the dough into the ingredients for the filling mixture and divide the filling into 12 equal portions.
- Press out each dough portion into a circle of 50 mm. (2") and place one portion of the filling mixture in the centre.
- Seal the filling mixture in the gulab jamun by bringing the sides together in the centre and roll gently to ensure there are no cracks on the surface.
- Repeat to make 11 more gulab jamuns.
- Deep fry in ghee over a slow flame till they are golden brown (approximately 10 to 12 minutes).
- Drain and transfer into the warm sugar syrup. Soak for at least 30 minutes.
- Drain, cut each meva bati into 2 equal halves and place on a serving plate.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.