Methi Leaves Sambhar
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 148 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 30133 times
Sambhar is a dish that is synonymous with South Indian cooking. As it is, sambhar is very nutritious as it combines toovar dal with an assortment of vegetables. While vegetables like red pumpkin, drumsticks and bottle gourd all contribute to the nutrient content of this recipe, the bumper iron top-up comes from the addition of methi leaves, which also adds to the flavour and aroma of the sambhar. Serve the Methi Leaves Sambhar piping hot with idli, dosa, rice or for a change, even with rotis.
- Combine the toovar dal, tomatoes, onions, pumpkin, bottle gourd, turmeric powder, salt and 3 cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid and keep aside.
- Combine the drumstick and ½ cup of water in a deep non-stick pan and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes. Do not drain and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in another deep non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the curry leaves and fenugreek leaves, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the chilli powder, sambhar masala, cooked drumstick ( along with the water), cooked dal mixture, a little salt and ½ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for another 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the lemon juice and mix well.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values per serving
|Energy|| 108 kcal|
|Protein|| 7.0 gm|
|Carbohydrates|| 18.7 gm|
|Fat|| 0.6 gm|
|Fibre|| 1.3 mg|
|Iron|| 1.0 mg|
|Vitamin C|| 23.4 mg|
|Folic acid|| 34.1 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.