Methi Alu Parathas
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 181 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 14173 times
In the rural areas of Punjab, where the farmers get up very early to go to work in their fields, cold alu parathas with some lassi are a popular breakfast. I have added some fresh methi (fenugreek) leaves to the classic alu paratha to make this delightful recipe. You can use any leftover potato vegetable to make tongue-tickling stuffed parathas.
- Combine all the ingredients and knead into a soft dough using enough water.
- Divide the dough into 5 equal portions. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds. When the seeds crackle, add the fenugreek leaves and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the ginger-green chilli paste, turmeric powder, coriander powder, chaat masala and salt and mix well.
- Add the potatoes and sauté for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Cool completely and divide the stuffing into 5 equal portions.
- Roll out one portion of the dough into a circle of 75 mm. (3") diameter.
- Place one portion of the methi alu stuffing in the centre of the circle.
- Bring together all the sides in the centre and seal tightly.
- Roll out again into a circle of 150 mm. (6") in diameter, using flour to roll the paratha.
- Cook on a hot tava (griddle), using a little oil, until both sides are golden brown.
- Repeat with the remaining dough and stuffing to make 4 more parathas.
- Serve hot.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.