Meethe Chawal ( Punjabi Khana)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 38 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 81339 times
Desserts made with rice are popular in punjab and this particularly unusual version of rice is a specialty prepared for important occasions. Considered a good omen, that incorporates both rice and something sweet this dish is often served at weddings and is a also found at most ‘gurudwaras’. Delicious saffron and cardamom flavoured sweet rice is the ideal end to a typical punjabi meal. Garnish it with some almonds and pistachios before serving.
- Dry roast the saffron strands in a small pan for 10 seconds. Add the milk and keep aside.
- Clean, wash and soak the rice for 10 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Put 2½ cups of water to boil.
- Heat the ghee in a pressure cooker, add the cinnamon, cloves, cardamoms and rice and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the saffron mixture, sugar and hot water and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Separate each grain of rice lightly with a fork.
- Serve hot garnished with the mixed nuts.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.