Medu Vada ( Mumbai Roadside Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 41 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 20569 times
This South Indian delicacy has become an integral part of Mumbai street food. No dosa stall is complete without piping hot deep-fried vadas. Just ask, and can get them submerged in sambhar. The idli-vada combination is a favourite for breakfast!
- Clean, wash and soak the urad dal in enough water for atleast 2 hours.
- Drain, add the peppercorns, curry leaves and ginger and blend in a mixer to a smooth batter, adding little water.
- Add the green chillies and salt, mix well and keep aside.
- Wet your fingers, take some batter and make a hole in the centre using your thumb.
- Slip the vada gently into the hot oil and deep-fry on a medium flame till it turns golden brown in colour from all the sides.
- Repeat with the remaining batter to make 7 more medu vadas. Drain on absorbent paper.
- Place 2 vadas on a plate and serve immediately with coconut chutney, green garlic chutney and sambhar.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 3 more plates.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.