by Tarla Dalal
Added to 130 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 38961 times
Bring rice and fibre-rich masoor together to create a low-cholesterol but infinitely tasty biryani. A special masala, and a thoughtful method of preparation make the masoor biryani a grand fare despite using minimal fat and avoiding unhealthy cooking techniques. You will love the outcome.
- Heat 3 cups of water in a deep non-stick kadhai, add the bayleaf, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, rice and salt, mix well and cover and cook on a medium flame for 10 to 15 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Soak the masoor in water for at least 6 hours. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the paste and mix well and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes, 2 tbsp water and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the masoor, salt and ¾ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 10 minutes or till the water evaporates and the masoor has been cooked, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the lemon juice and mix well. Keep aside.
- Discard the bayleaf and cinnamon from the rice. Divide the rice into 2 equal portions. Keep aside.
- On a greased baking dish, pour 1 tbsp of low-fat milk over it.
- Put a portion of the rice and spread it evenly with the help of a spoon.
- Put the masoor mixture on it and spread it evenly.
- Finally, add the remaining rice on it and spread it evenly.
- Pour the remaining 1 tbsp of low-fat milk evenly over it.
- Cover and bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 20 minutes or microwave on high for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values per serving
| 167 calories|| 8.9 gm|| 25.5 gm|| 3.2 gm|| 3.8 mg|| 0.0 mg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.