Masala Toast ( Mumbai Roadside Recipes )
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 166 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 133543 times
A tasty aloo masala packed between slices of bread lined with tongue-tickling chutney, the Masala Toast is surely one sumptuous snack that will keep you going for an hour or two. The unique stove and toaster used to make this Masala Toast is a typical trademark of street-side food. However, in this recipe we show you how you can recreate the magic using the utensils in your own kitchen. Also, mind not the prodigal portions of butter used to ensure even grilling of the toast! Forget the calories and relish this piping hot, topped with crunchy sev.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the potatoes, green peas, turmeric powder, green chilli paste, coriander and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for another minute.
- Divide the aloo stuffing into 4 equal portions and keep aside.
- Apply 1 tsp of butter and 1 tsp of garlic green chutney on each bread slice and keep aside.
- Place a slice of bread, with the buttered side facing upwards, on a clean, dry and flat surface.
- Place one portion of the aloo masala and spread it evenly over it.
- Arrange 2 onion slices, 3 tomato slices and 6 to 7 capsicum slices over the stuffing and sprinkle ¼ tsp of sandwich masala evenly over it.
- Cover it with another slice of bread, with the buttered side facing downwards and press it lightly. Spread ¼ tsp of butter evenly over the bread slice.
- Grease a sandwich toaster on both the sides using ½ tsp of butter.
- Place the sandwich in the sandwich toaster and cook on a medium flame, till it turns brown and crisp from both the sides.
- Cut into 6 equal pieces, place it on a plate and apply ½ tsp of butter evenly over it.
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp of sev evenly over it.
- Repeat steps 2 to 8 to make 3 more toasts.
- Serve immediately with tomato ketchup and garlic green chutney.
- Cheese masala toast: place a generous amount of grated processed cheese over the capsicum slices (at step 4 after the capsicum slices) and proceed as per the recipe. Finally at step 8 replace the nylon sev with grated processed cheese for the topping and serve immediately.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.