by Tarla Dalal
Added to 97 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 31040 times
Spicy sesame and whole wheat khakhras. I usually make a large batch of these and store them in an air-tight container for those hungry times. They will stay well for several days. You can enjoy them with a hot cup of tea and a spicy pickle of your choice. Omit all the masalas to make plain (or "sada") khakhras. These khakhras can be cooked using ghee or dry roasted to make fat-free or low calorie khakras.
- Combine the wheat flour, sesame seeds , turmeric powder, chilli powder, oil and salt.
- Add enough warm water and knead into a soft dough.
- Divide the dough into 5 equal portions and roll out each portion on a floured surface into a 125 mm. (5") diameter thin circle.
- Cook the khakhra on a hot tava (griddle) on both sides using a little ghee until pink spots appear on the surface.
- With the help of a folded muslin cloth, press the khakhra from all the sides and cook over a slow flame till it is crisp.
- Repeat with the rest of the dough.
- Store in an air-tight container.
- VARIATION : PLAIN KHAKHRAS
- Omit the sesame seeds, turmeric powder and chilli powder from the above recipe to make plain khakhras.
- You can cook them with or without using any ghee.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.