Masala Dosa ( Mumbai Roadside Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 120 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 170701 times
A tried-and-tested recipe that serves as a wholesome answer to the hungry palate! a thin crisp dosa, engulfed in a spicy potato bhaji.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the urad dal and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the green chillies, curry leaves and onions and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the potatoes, salt, turmeric powder, lemon juice and sugar, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the coriander, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Allow it to cool.
- Once cooled, mash lightly with the back of the spoon and keep aside.
- Combine the dosa batter, salt and a little water, mix well and keep aside.
- Heat a tava /non-stick tava (griddle), grease it lightly with ¼ tsp butter, sprinkle a little water on it (it should sizzle immediately) and wipe off using a wet piece of cloth.
- Pour ¼th of the batter on the tava (griddle) and spread in a circular motion to make a 175 mm. (7") thin dosa.
- Smear 2 tsp of butter on the edges of the dosa
- Spread ¼th of the prepared aloo masala evenly over the dosa using a spatula and cook till the dosa turns golden brown in colour.
- Fold over while pressing it lightly, using a spatula to make a flat roll.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 3 more dosas.
- Serve immediately with coconut chutney.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.