Malted Magic ( Baby and Toddler Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 44 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 24062 times
A great combination of malted cereals and pulses that provides energy, protein and folic acid. Nachni is not a commonly used cereal which is sad because it is extremely rich in iron and calcium as compared to other cereals. You can store this mixture in an air-tight container for a couple of weeks.
- Soak the whole moong, whole wheat and ragi in separately containers for 6 to 8 hours.
- Drain out all the water, tie them in separate muslin cloths and allow them to sprout. This may take upto 2 days in warm weather. Remember to keep sprinkling water on the musllin cloth to keep it damp, as the grains will not sprout if they are dry.
- Dry roast all the whole grains separately on a tava (griddle) over a slow flame, stirring continuously till they are crisp and can be easily powdered.
- Cool for 5 minutes and combine all the toasted grains. Rub them between your palms to remove all the ;burnt skin and sprouts which will otherwise leave a burnt taste in the mixture.
- Separate this burnt portion from the toasted grains by passing it through a sieve. Discard the burnt portion.
- Grind the toasted grains to make a fine powder.
- Cool and store in a sterilised air-tight container. Use as required.
- Take 1 tablespoons of the dry mixture , add the hot milk and mix well. Cover and keep aside for 5 minutes till it is lukewarm.
- Add the mashed banana, mix well and serve immediately.
- Instead of banana you can also use mashed chickoo, pureed dates or jaggery to sweeten this malted mixture.
Nutrient values per serving
| 158 gm|| 191 kcal|| 7.7 gm|| 35.7 gm|| 6.9 gm|| 213.5 mcg|| 5.0 mg|| 250.7 mg|| 1.2 mg|| 9.2 mcg|| 0.8 gm|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.