by Tarla Dalal
Added to 79 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 11839 times
This Jain version of the Malabari Curry gives its traditional non-vegetarian counterpart a real run for its money. It tastes just as good, maybe even a tad better!
- Dry roast the coconut, curry leaves and rice and on a tava (griddle) on a slow flame, stirring continuously, until the mixture is light pink.
- Add the green chillies, cinnamon, cloves, peppercorns and red chillies. Remove from flame, cool and blend to a smooth paste in a blender using very little water. Keep aside.
- Boil a vesselful of water and immerse the tomatoes in it for 1 minute.
- Remove, de-skin and de-seed tomatoes. Chop finely and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add prepared paste and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add in chopped tomatoes, red chilli powder, turmeric and salt. Cook well till the oil separates.
- Add the vegetables and mix well.
- Combine cornflour with milk, add to the gravy along with 1½ cups of water.
- Cook till vegetables are tender.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.