Makai ka Dhokla
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 791 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 43906 times
This dhokla features corn inside-out! While the batter itself is made of maize flour perked up with curds and lemon juice for tanginess and other masalas for spice, the highlight of the recipe is the addition of crushed sweet corn kernels to the batter, which gives a nice, juicy texture and mild sweetness to the dhoklas. Adding fruit salt to the batter before steaming ensures that the Makai ka Dhokla is succulently soft, while an accompaniment of green chutney heightens the excitement! Enjoy this delectable snack with a cup of hot chaai. Dhokla are also good to serve for Breakfast and also make satiating Tiffin Snacks .
- Combine the maize flour, curds and ¾ cup of warm water in a deep bowl and mix well. Cover it with a lid and keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Add the sweet corn, ginger-green chilli paste, asafoetida, turmeric powder, sugar, lemon juice, salt and oil and mix well.
- Just before steaming, sprinkle fruit salt over the batter and mix lightly.
- Pour the batter into a greased 175 mm. (7”) diameter thali.
- Steam in a steamer for 15 minutes or till the dhoklas are cooked. Keep aside to cool slightly.
- Once cooled, cut it into 18 diamond shaped pieces and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a small non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds crackle, add the sesame seeds and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Pour this tempering over the prepared dhoklas and spread it evenly.
- Sprinkle the coriander evenly on top.
- Serve hot with green chutney.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.