Mag Ni Dal Na Dhokla ( Gujarati Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 225 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 47305 times
This signature gujarati dish is a popular tea-time choice. The fruit salt makes the dhoklas so fluffy that your children will keep asking for it every day! it is so easy to prepare and uses such common ingredients that it is not difficult to oblige them… just that you need to plan in advance because it calls for a four-hour soaking time. Another plus point about this recipe is that the same batter can also be used to turn out a variety of other dishes like chillas, utthapas and pankis.
- Soak the moong dal in enough water for 4 hours. Drain and de-skin the dal.
- Combine the dal, green chillies and ¼ cup of water and blend in a mixer to a coarse paste.
- Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl, add the oil, asafoetida, sugar, besan, curds and salt and mix well.
- Just before steaming, add the fruit salt and mix gently.
- Pour the batter immediately into a greased 200 mm. (8") diameter thali and spread evenly by rotating the thali clockwise.
- Steam in a steamer for 12 to 15 minutes or till the dhoklas are cooked.
- Cool slightly, brush little oil on it and cut into diamond shaped pieces.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
- Add the fruit salt just before you put the dhoklas to steam.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.