Mag Ni Dal ( Gujarati Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 119 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 77534 times
Mag ni dal is a dry preparation with basic guajarati masalas-it is a delectable everyday fare. I suggest you soak the dal before preparing the dish as it reduces the cooking time. You also need to remember that for this particular preparation, the dal should not be overcooked as the dal has to be separate and dry, and not soggy. That’s the secret of the success of this recipe!
- Wash and soak the dal in warm water for at least 1½ hours. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida and the soaked dal and sauté on a medium flame for a minute.
- Add the chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander-cumin seeds powder and sauté on a medium flame for another 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Remove from the flame, transfer the dal mixture in a vessel and add ¼ cup water and mix well.
- Place this vessel in a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Add the lemon juice, sugar and salt and mix well.
- Serve hot with puran poli and kadhi.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.