Mag Na Dhokla
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 224 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 31579 times
Moong dal or 'mag na' dhokla is amongst the favourite breakfast choices of Gujaratis. Not only are these dhoklas very simple to prepare, they can also be made well in advance.
Ingredients like curds, ginger-green chilli paste and spice powders give these dhoklas a fascinating flavour. To enhance the flavour and nutritive value of the Mag na Dhokla, add some grated carrots or ground peas to the batter.
These dhoklas are really very soft when compared to other dhoklas as it contains only moong and no flours. You just need to make sure the moong batter is coarse and not smooth. Serve these tasty dhoklas with low-calorie green chutney.
You can also try other recipes like Oats Rava Palak Dhokla and Green Peas Dhokla .
- Wash and soak the moong in enough water in a deep bowl for 4 hours. Drain well and blend it in a mixture to a coarse mixture, without using any water.
- Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl, add the ginger-green chilli paste, cumin seeds powder, curds and salt and mix well.
- Grease a 175 mm. (7") diameter thali using ½ tsp of oil and keep aside.
- Divide the batter into 2 equal portions.
- Just before steaming, add ½ tsp of fruit salt and 2 tsp water over the batter.
- Mix gently and pour the batter into a 175 mm. (7") diameter greased thali.
- Steam in a steamer for 10 to 12 minutes or till the dhoklas are cooked.
- Cool slightly and cut into 19 diamond shaped pieces.
- Repeat steps 3 to 7 to make one more batch of dhokla from the remaining batter.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||34.5 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.6 mg|
|Vitamin C||0 mg|
|Folic Acid||0 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.