Maa Ki Dal ( Pressure Cooker )
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 97 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 101154 times
Maa ki dal , flavoured with tangy tomatoes, curds and cream-it’s a rich feeling you can enjoy once in a while. Ensure that the beans and dal are soaked well overnight. Traditionally this dal is simmered all night long to get the unique flavour however this jiffy version is equally tasty!
- Heat the oil and butter in a pressure cooker and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, green chillies, onions and ginger-garlic paste and sauté on a medium flame till the onions turn golden brown in colour.
- Add the chilli powder, turmeric powder and tomatoes and cook on a medium flame till the mixture leaves oil, while stirring continuously.
- Add the garam masala, kitchen king masala, urad, rajma, 2 cups of water and salt, mix well and pressure cook on high flame for 4 whistles.
- Lower the flame and pressure cook for another 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape using natural release method, ( refer handy tip) before opening the lid.
- Add the cream and curds and mix well. Serve hot.
- Natural release method: to use this method, remove the pressure cooker from the hot burner and let the pressure drop by cooling down naturally. It works best for grains and for beans that you might use for salads, as quick-releasing the pressure can cause the beans to split apart.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.