Low Cal Tomato Soup
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 143 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 28377 times
A perfect low-calorie substitute for creamy tomato soup in which the creamy texture is retained by the addition of protein rich moong dal and low-fat milk. The use of only 1 tsp of butter for 6 servings makes this recipe truly healthy. Using toasted whole wheat bread croutons for serving is just the rich crunchy contrast to the fried croutons made with oodles of oil and refined flour.
- Combine 4 cups of water, tomatoes and moong dal in a deep non-stick kadhai , mix well and cook on a medium flame for 8 to 10 minutes or till the tomatoes are soft, while stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the flame and keep aside to cool.
- Blend in a mixer to a smooth mixture. Do not strain and keep aside.
- Heat the butter in a deep non-stick kadhai, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes or till they turn light brown in colour.
- Add the tomato-moong dal mixture, sugar, low-fat milk, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Bring to a boil, while stirring occasionally and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with toasted whole wheat bread croutons.
- To make toasted whole wheat bread croutons, toast the whole wheat bread and then cut into 1 cm × 1 cm (10 mm. ×10 mm. ) cubes.
Nutrient values per serving
|Energy||Protein||Carbohydrates||Fat||Vitamin A||Vitamin C||Iron||Fibre|
| 66 calories|| 3.1 gm|| 10.9 gm|| 1.0 gm|| 506.9 mcg|| 36.3 mg|| 1.1 mg|| 2.8 gm|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.